At a Glance
The SSI CS8500 Profilograph is perhaps the most widely used surface profiling device in the world. The CS8500 is the updated model of the James Cox & Sons CS8200 profilograph. SSI acquired the McCracken profilograph operation from the Besser Company in 2004, making SSI the only supplier of California style profilographs. Some of the key features of the CS8500 are:
- Hand-built, lightweight aluminum frame refined over 40 years of production. Powder coated wheel chassis with adjustable steering system at each end. Bi-directional hardware allows data collection in reverse direction without frame turn-around. Designed for one-person assembly in minutes.
- Operator control housing contains all profiling system electronics, on-board printer with power assisted paper take-up and Toughbook computer. AC/DC power supplies for use in field or office.
- SSI’s patented Windows data collection and analysis software has been refined through ongoing development and user input since 1995. The CS8500 profilograph software is stable and feature rich.
- The user-friendly Windows software makes training and daily operation easy. Rugged Panasonic Toughbook operator computer with touchscreen controls.
- Bi-directional data collection (English or Metric Units) and dual wheel path reporting on a single report.
- Real time display of past segment profile index and must grind bumps & dips during data collection
- Adjustable filtering parameters, blanking band, and localized roughness (must grind bump/dip templates)
- Re-writeable raw data and export routines to convert profile data to PDF, ERD/PPF for ProVal and Excel
- Guaranteed compliance with all commonly used DOT profilograph specifications and test methods
- Software and electronic copy of user’s manual facilitates operational training on desktop computers
- GPS subsystem with profile stations and localized roughness correlated with GPS coordinates
- The original California profilograph under California Department of Transportation Test Method 526
Designed to measure pavement smoothness as an elongated, highly sophisticated rolling straightedge, the latest CS8500 collects data through optical encoder based height and distance measurements taken at a default 1 inch sampling interval. The raw signals are synchronized, processed and sent to Windows user interface software operating on a Panasonic Toughbook computer. The measurement wheel at the center of the frame records the elevations in real time. There is no need for the plastic templates to calculate the profile index or bump templates to determine out-of-tolerance areas. The SSI Profiler software reports the profile index and must-grind bumps, or dips, in real time.
The CS8500 Profilograph complies with ASTM E-1274 (Standard Test Method for Measuring Pavement Roughness Using a Profilograph). The CS8500 is also rated and approved for use with California Department of Transportation Test Method 526 specifications (CTM-526: “Operation Of California Profilograph and Evaluation of Profiles”). Download the latest CTM 526 document. The CS8500 also complies with airfield pavement specifications for profilograph testing required by The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
The CS8500 collects elevations at a 1 inch sampling interval. The GPS subsystem can tag the elevation profile with a GPS coordinate up to ten times per second (10 Hz).
An enclosed cargo trailer is available with interior hardware installed for secure stowage and transport of the CS8500 system.
With increased GPS accuracy the CS8500 profilograph can collect data to be used on GPS-based layout devices such as GPS enabled grinders. The SSI Profiler editing features allow GPS based editing of profiles.
Use a USB camera to collect images at a user defined interval. Two camera options available.
Hardware & Software
The hardware attributes of the CS8500 profilograph are:
- The original and only true California type system. (CS8500 is the new/replacement system for Cox and McCracken branded systems)
- Guaranteed compliance with USACE/FAA, ASTM, DOT specifications
- Professionally engineered hardware refined over 50 years
- One-person assembly and operation
- Aluminum frame and support wheels assemble in minutes
- Portable operator control housing with AC/DC power supplies
- Bi-directional frame operation (reversible steering hardware orients system to test adjacent wheel path without turn-around
- Panasonic Toughbook computer with Touchscreen controls
- Toughbook computer is Mil-Spec (<1.5% annual failure rate)
- Lightweight generator for AC power. • Optional DC battery
- GPS subsystem displays of GPS position, integrates coordinates with profile stations, localized roughness, and Google Earth
- Adjustable hardware for over/under steering on curved surfaces
- Reversible brake for parking frame on sloped surfaces
- Optional enclosed cargo trailer with engineered hardware for secure storage and transit of CS8500 system
- All major spare parts stocked and available by expedited delivery
- Warranty on all individual and integrated system components
- Optional on-board printer for field printing traces and reports with power assisted paper take-up for auto-scrolling of profile traces
- Bridge configuration available (e.g. CalTrans Test 547)
- Buy or Rent (equipment only or with trained operator)
The software attributes of the CS8500 profilograph are:
- Easy to learn, easy to use Windows software programs
- Multiple profile indexes supported (PRI, IRI, HRI, RN)
- Computer instructed calibration and data collection routines
- Feature rich, mature data analysis software
- Collect dual wheel paths from either direction or any starting point
- Dual wheel paths test results on one graph with results averaged
- Two trace reports allow assessment of profile across lane
- English or Metric data collection and reporting
- Real time display of test results, stationing, and profile trace during collection
- Localized Roughness navigation through trace view & Google Earth
- Must-grind bumps/dips display in real time with audible alarm
- Customized localized roughness reports display dimensions and peak magnitude for each bump and dip
- Profile reports and traces on-screen, in PDF images, or hard copy
- Raw data exports to multiple formats (Excel, ERD/PPF for ProVal)
- Raw profile data encrypted for maximum security
- Profile data infinitely re-writable with different parameters
- Parameters adjust and comply with all commonly used agency specifications (e.g. ASTM, DOT, Transport Ministry, FAA, and USACE)
- Add new data to existing profile data files for comparison of original and corrected surfaces. • Track ride improvement throughout project
- Software license for field and desktop computers
- On-site operator training and certifications available worldwide
- Software updates by internet download (self-extracting)
- Worldwide customer support