Pavement Management Systems
Rate Pavement Networks with Collected IRI, Rutting and Texture
Collect Pavement Networks
Using the pavement network paths, agencies can collect groups of files based on the proximity and street name. The SSI Network Manager can automatically group street names together to collect multiple network segments in one pass.
SSI’s Network Manager accepts shapefiles or KMLs for the road paths. The operators group and prepare the collections as needed or automatically. The map feature shows the operator the paths that have been collected.
This is an upgraded feature based on the SSI GPS Tagging option. GPS Tagging will trigger the start or end of a collection along with other events or pauses. It is a great tool for repeat collections.
SSI designs equipment to be modular, installed in the field, and simple to upgrade. You may start with a dual laser profiler for IRI and build on this system with texture and rutting sensors. SSI can even integrate LCMS or GPR sensors for higher-end pavement management systems.
Accurate Rutting, IRI, and Texture
The SSI systems can all use the Network Manager software – from dual laser profilers to the CS9500 Full Lane Survey Profiler. The data collected by each system can be exported to GIS or Excel to import into the agencies pavement management software. Excel templates for this import are available from SSI.
The system that is used can be outfitted with sensors for full lane rutting, 5-point rutting, or 3-point rutting along with IRI and texture (MPD, ETD, RMS).
Use SSI's Pavement Management Feature
SSI also has a simple pavement management option to rate your roads. Export a pavement score based on the collected data to organize your collections based on data collected. The report can be processed instantaneously after a collection.
All of SSI systems have the capability of collecting IRI or MRI smoothness profiles. Starting at the simple inertial profiler level, agencies can collect smoothness data on every lane of their network at a very low cost relative to full scale pavement management.
The benefit is the data reflects the ride quality of the traveling public. An inertial profiler can detect pavement distresses that affect elevations (faulting, potholes, utilities, rutting).
The inertial profiler will not detect the severity of the PCI index for bleeding, weathering, or the extent of cracking. The system will only detect changes in elevation reflected in the ride value.
With a 3-point, 5-point, or full lane transverse profiler the system can detect ride value smoothness and rutting. The rutting sampling interval can be every inch or greater with the 3- or 5-point systems, but can be collected as low as 5mm x 5mm at slow speeds with the CS9500 system. Usually rutting is reported at a 2-inch longitudinal sampling interval.
ROW and downfacing cameras can be used on all SSI systems. These cameras are triggered by SSI software and embedded within the SSI Profiler program. SSI offers camera options from 5MP to 24MP.
Texture can be collected with a high frequency dot laser or a line laser. The elevation data reported can be converted into MPD, ETD, or RMS reports for each sample. More research is being conducted into the micro and macro texture readings of lasers to determine correlation to skid test numbers.
SSI is also an integrator of new technology. If you have a new requirement or sensor to implement, SSI can incorporate it. We always use the most accurate and economical equipment for the application.
Custom Pavement Management Systems Built For Cities and Counties
- Start with a simple dual laser inertial profiler and add options as needed
- Collect data yourselves, saving money over 3rd party Accelerated Pavement Condition Surveys (APCS)
- Systems can be fixed to a truck or portable for multiple vehicles to share
- Use integrated cameras for ROW image logging
- GPS receiver will track position and index roughness by station distance and GPS location
- Identify and rank roughest pavement segments
- Follow segment paths by importing entire pavement network into SSI Profiler’s Network Manager software. The program collects network segments as you drive. See the completed locations on a colored map
- Export data into your network GIS program with segment IRI, rutting, texture, cross-slope, and an optional visual score
- Use SSI’s rating system to calculate an overall pavement score based on multiple weighted characteristics
Includes our standard SSI Profiler features
- Reports IRI, MRI, HRI, PRI, RN, and Localized Roughness (with adjustable bump and dip templates)
- Integration of custom data templates and calculations
- Instant test results and viewing of profile traces and reports
- Outputs longitudinal profile, elevation data, slope, simulated profilograph, raw strip trace, ERD/PPF (for ProVal), and PRO formats
- Multiple trace reporting allows cross-surface analysis of parallel profile traces (patented by SSI)
- Append data to existing files for comparison of original surface condition with corrected surface
- Profile reports and traces available on-screen, in PDF images, Excel (templates supplied), hard copy print out, or electronic formats
- Colorized traces and highlights of bonus/penalty profile areas
- Encrypted raw data for infinite reanalysis with variable parameters
- Data infinitely rewritable with variable analysis parameters (English or Metric units, profile indexes, data filters, localized roughness).
- Embedded PDF user manual in software
- Send Feedback or report issues to SSI staff directly
- Real time diagnostics monitor system health and ease support
- Desktop license supplied for viewing, analyzing, and printing data
- Software updates by self-executing internet download
- On-site customer training and support worldwide
Optional System Configurations
- Single, dual, or three laser IRI system
- Single or dual laser texture reported as MPD, ETD, RMS
- Full lane transverse rutting
- ROW cameras
- Downfacing rear camera
- Military grade IMU
- Road geometry
- Medium or High Resolution GPS receiver
- Point Cloud Survey Export
- CS9500 system option can achieve 6mm accuracy over 95% of points
- Over a million pavement surface data points per mile without time consuming post-processing