At a Glance
Collect data under California Test Method 526 for highway pavement, FAA or Army Corps standards on airfields. The fully electronic system will index your start station and report defects in real time.
The 25-foot frame is assembled in three pieces on top of support wheels. The SSI Profiler program will guide the operator through the calibration, collection, editing, viewing, and reporting of data.
Print out the traces on a thermal printers within the Pelican case on the profilograph frame or send the PDF to your local printer or email.
SSI Is The Only Supplier of California Style Profilographs
The SSI CS8500 Profilograph is perhaps the most widely used surface profiling device in the world. The CS8500 is the updated model of the James Cox & Sons CS8200 profilograph. SSI acquired the McCracken profilograph operation from the Besser Company in 2004, making SSI the only supplier of California style profilographs. Some of the key features of the CS8500 are:
- Hand-built, lightweight aluminum frame refined over 40 years of production. Powder coated wheel chassis with adjustable steering system at each end. Bi-directional hardware allows data collection in reverse direction without frame turn-around.
- Operator control housing contains all profiling system electronics, on-board printer with power assisted paper take-up and Toughbook computer. AC/DC power supplies for use in field or office.
- SSI’s patented Windows data collection and analysis software has been refined through ongoing development and user input since 1995.
- Rugged Panasonic Toughbook operator computer with touchscreen controls.
- Bi-directional data collection (English or Metric Units) and dual wheel path reporting on a single report.
- Real time display of past segment profile index and must grind bumps & dips during data collection
- Adjustable filtering parameters, blanking band, and localized roughness (must grind bump/dip templates)
- Re-writeable raw data and export routines to convert profile data to PDF, ERD/PPF for ProVal and Excel
- Guaranteed compliance with all commonly used DOT profilograph specifications and test methods
- Software and electronic copy of user’s manual facilitates operational training on desktop computers
- GPS subsystem with profile stations and localized roughness correlated with GPS coordinates
- The original California profilograph under California Department of Transportation Test Method 526
Designed to measure pavement smoothness as an elongated, highly sophisticated rolling straightedge, the latest CS8500 collects data through optical encoder based height and distance measurements taken at a default 1 inch sampling interval. The raw signals are synchronized, processed and sent to Windows user interface software operating on a Panasonic Toughbook computer. The measurement wheel at the center of the frame records the elevations in real time. There is no need for the plastic templates to calculate the profile index or bump templates to determine out-of-tolerance areas. The SSI Profiler software reports the profile index and must-grind bumps, or dips, in real time.
The CS8500 Profilograph complies with ASTM E-1274 (Standard Test Method for Measuring Pavement Roughness Using a Profilograph). The CS8500 is also rated and approved for use with California Department of Transportation Test Method 526 specifications (CTM-526: “Operation Of California Profilograph and Evaluation of Profiles”). Download the latest CTM 526 document. The CS8500 also complies with airfield pavement specifications for profilograph testing required by The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
The CS8500 collects elevations at a 1 inch sampling interval. The GPS subsystem can tag the elevation profile with a GPS coordinate up to ten times per second (10 Hz).
- Medium Resolution GPS
- ROW Camera
- Enclosed Cargo Trailer