At a Glance
SSI’s GPS distance measurement devices offer an easy, high accuracy solution to a historically cumbersome process. Put away the measuring wheel, as SSI’s in-vehicle CS1100 devices provide quick distance measurements with high confidence in both accuracy and repeatability. The CS1100 devices use an embedded GPS receiver sampling at 5Hz with satellite based corrections and are powered by the vehicle’s standard 12V DC power supply; a battery powered CS1100 in a rugged enclosure is available for use outside a vehicle. Simply plug in the CS1100 and the GPS coordinates quickly enable the device for distance measurement in English or Metric units. No calibration is required. The CS1100 is accurate to within 0.2% under standard operating conditions—much more robust than dashboard mounted devices relying only on vehicle speed data. For where GPS signal is poor or drops, the CS1100 devices can be instrumented to use the vehicle’s on-board diagnostics port (OBD-II) to track distance using the vehicle velocity information. The CS1100 is offered in several configurations with varying capabilities and feature sets.
For owners of SSI’s inertial profiling systems for testing pavement condition (ride and roughness), the CS1100 can be used as an alternative to the wheel mounted distance encoder (subject to compliance with standards and specifications). Two configurations are supported for using SSI’s GPS-DMI (Distance Measurement Interface) instead of the encoder based DMI:
- A software enabled version that uses the profiler’s current GPS receiver as an alternative to the wheel mounted encoder. With this configuration, no CS1100 hardware is required, as the functionality is built into SSI’s Profiler 3 software. The profiling system needs a compatible GPS receiver for proper GPS-DMI functionality.
- Use of the CS1100 hardware connected to the inertial profiling system to replace the wheel encoder as a GPS-DMI.
SSI’s CS1100 hardware can also be used in any vehicle (i.e. not just the inertial profiler) for navigating through profile surface data on a notebook PC running SSI’s Profiler 3 software. Simply plug in the CS1100 to a Windows laptop and use Profiler 3 to navigate along previously collected profile data in real time to find areas of localized roughness or other features on the pavement. SSI’s GPS-DMI technology greatly expands the use of inertial profile data to many users beyond operators of inertial profiler equipment. However it should be noted that use of the GPS-DMI as a replacement to the wheel encoder for the distance component for collecting pavement profiles remains subject to acceptance under industry standards and specifications.
Hardware & Software
- 4” or 7” touchscreen configurations for easy, safe operation
- Works off vehicle power supply (no batteries)
- Embedded GPS receiver with 5Hz sampling and magnet mount antenna
- GPS content: GNSS + SBAS/PPP; optional GLONASS, L1/L2/LBand
- Accurate to within 0.2% [3.5 inches over a distance of 0.1 mile (528 ft) under standard conditions]
- 99% Repeatable measurements [based on 10 repeat measurements all within 3.5 inches over a distance of 0.1 mile (528 ft)] under standard conditions
- Vehicle OBD-II interface available to track position when GPS signal lost or satellite count unreliable
- USB or serial data communication supported
- Modular and portable: moves quickly between vehicles
- Rugged container for shipping and storage
- Bluetooth connection available
- Notebook PC interface available for logging measurement data (distance, area, etc.)
- Camera option available with geo-referenced and stationing (chainage) tagging of images
- For inertial profiler users:
- GPS-DMI supported in hardware or software only configurations. GPS-DMI can replace inertial profiler wheel encoder. (Check applicable specifications for compliance).
- View profile data on any PC in any vehicle for GPS navigation and location tagging
- Ready to operate in minutes
- Simple to operate
- Self-calibrating—not affected by changes in tire pressure or temperature
- On-screen display of GPS quality and OBD-II (when connected)
- Measure in English or Metric units
- Connect to inertial profiler or other vehicles or equipment
- Replaces encoder hardware (where accepted).
- Windows software program available with advanced configurations
- Plan and store distance and area measurements
- Connect optional camera to store geo-referenced images with distance data
- SSI Profiler 3 software supports GPS-DMI for data collection and odometer distance functionality. Works on SSI surface profiling devices with compatible GPS components