At a Glance
The ProScan Automated Profilograph Trace Scanning System scans manual profilograph traces and creates a digitized file that can be post-processed with SSI’s Profiler data analysis software.
The ProScan is an automated profilogram scanning and software system. It is a widely accepted system as an alternative method of automatically reducing manual Profilograph traces to determine profile indices and defect stations on paving projects. There are numerous systems already in place in many state DOT's and construction companies, and many states have certified this system for use on highway construction products.
How It Works
- The computer controlled paper transport unit automatically advances the profilogram trace to the scanner
- The ProScan system scans the trace, divides it into 1/10-mile (or any length) segments, and saves it on the computer hard drive. System can combine scans of left and right wheel path data on a single report (displays two traces, PRIs per wheel path and average).
- The results are printed out on the accepted PRI form for each state using English or metric units
The ProScan System Includes
- Logitech ScanMan Model 32 hand scanner to capture data
- Software to track profilogram trace - ignores stray marks, smooths jagged signals, and fills small gaps in trace
- Enhanced program that calculates PRI values, records a collection of segments on disk, and generates a standard DOT smoothness report
- Computer controlled paper transport unit to automate and speed the scanning process
- Optional Panasonic Toughbook rugged computer with touchscreen controls
Advantages of the ProScan Over Manual Operation
- Faster (15 mph vs 1-1.5 mph)
- Easier (less skill required)
- Accurate (provably correct results)
- Digitize data capture disk record
- Instant reanalysis (using different specifications)
- Automatic report generation
- Data Integrity (encrypted data file)
Advantages of the ProScan Over Other Systems
- Lower cost
- Existing profilograph equipment used
- Original paper profilogram exists (before being massaged by a program)
- More complete reports generated
- Data may be reanalyzed in seconds
- Computer not subjected to weather extremes
- Never runs out of gas!