Ride & Roughness
SSI’s surface profiling equipment reports offers detailed, customized reporting of ride quality and localized roughness under all commonly used specifications. SSI also offers devices for real time assessment of ride quality and localized roughness on-board paving and grinding equipment.
Pavements Ride Quality (Smoothness)
SSI surface profiling equipment supports measurement and reporting of all commonly used ride quality statistics, including IRI, MRI, HRI, PRI, RN, RMS and various agency or country specific adaptations of ride index reporting.
Precise detection of Areas of Localized Roughness (ALR) are also generated in full compliance with agency and industry specifications.
- ASTM E950 (Measuring the Longitudinal Profile of Traveled Surfaces with an Accelerometer Established Inertial Profiling Reference)
- ASTM E1155 (Standard Test Method for Determining FF Floor Flatness and FL Floor Levelness Numbers)
- ASTM E1170 Standard Practices for Simulating Vehicular Response to Longitudinal Profiles of Traveled Surfaces)
- ASTM E1274 (Standard Test Method for Measuring Pavement Using a Profilograph)
- ASTM 1926 (Standard Practice for Computing International Roughness Index of Roads from Longitudinal Profile Measurements)
- ASTM E2133 (Standard Test Method for Using a Rolling Inclinometer to Measure Longitudinal and Transverse Profiles of a Traveled Surface)
- ASTM E1486 (Standard Test Method for Determining Floor Tolerances Using Waviness, Wheel Path and Levelness Criteria (Metric)
- ASTM E1489 (Standard Practice for Computing Ride Number of Roads from Longitudinal Profile Measurements Made by an Inertial Profile Measuring Device)
- ASTM E2560 (Standard Specification for Data Format for Pavement Profile)
- AASHTO M328 (Standard Specification for Inertial Profiler)
- AASHTO R043 (Standard Practice for Quantifying Roughness of Pavements)
- AASHTO R054 (Standard Practice for Accepting Pavement Ride Quality When Measured Using Inertial Profiling Systems)
- AASHTO R056 (Standard Practice for Certification of Inertial Profiling Systems)
- AASHTO R057 (Standard Practice for Operating Inertial Profiling Systems)
- California Department of Transportation Test Method 526 (Operation of California Profilograph and Evaluation of Profiles) and Test Method 547 (Method of Test for Operation of Bridge Profilograph and Evaluation of Profiles)
- State DOT ride quality (smoothness) specifications (Examples: Texas DOT Tex-1001-S, California DOT (CalTrans) Test Method 387)
- World Bank Technical Paper Number 46 (Guidelines for Conducting and Calibrating Road Roughness Measurements)
- Ministry of Transport ride quality (smoothness) specifications (Example: Ontario Canada Ministry of Transport Test Method LS-296)