At a Glance
SSI has engineered patented software programs for 2D and 3D road surveying applications. 2D data from a dual laser inertial profiler with an IMU or 3D data from a CS9500 Survey Profiler can be analyzed within the Profile Design software for smoothness and cross slope. The user can set thresholds for cut depth and slope thresholds for the program to follow. Each result shows the smoothness values for each segment along with the IRI localized roughness. All locations outside of the tolerances are flagged for correction or to change the smoothing parameters.
The process for 2D or 3D models are the same within Profile Design; only the collection differs. A 2D collection begins with a dual laser inertial profiler with an IMU. 2D profiles only measure point-to-point elevations in the wheelpaths.
The 3D profile is collected with an SSI CS9500. Typical transverse widths are 14-feet (4.2-meters). The CS9500 only needs to collect each lane once - no additional passes needed. The longitudinal and transvese point spacing is user configurable. After each lane is collected, SSI's Survey Correction program can be used to align the scans to control points on the shoulder. This yields elevation accuracies within 7mm. From this corrected surface the reference lines can be created and exported into Profile Design.
The final model can be exported from Profile Design into a 3rd party machine control software.
Some key features of SSI’s surveying applications software are:
- Quickly generate surface scans generated by SSI inertial profiling system with added survey instrumentation
- Create a design file with 2D or 3D survey data
- Edit out of tolerance locations within Profile Design
- Use surface data in SSI Profile Design module to analyze existing surface and optimize design for best smoothness values
- Configurable design parameters for slope, cut/fill and smoothness
- Data compatible with third-party CAD design and machine control software
- Design flexibility—resurvey surface to assess changes as project build progresses (Build based on the True Surface Profile)
- Separate or combined data formats: profile only, slope only, GPS only, or integrated 2D/3D survey data
- Easy software for calibration, collection and analysis of data on a Touchscreen Toughbook with Windows 7/8/10 Pro
- Ride quality data reported under DOT ride quality specifications (e.g. IRI, MRI, HRI, PRI, RN)
- Fully compatible with ProVal
- Surface profile data complies with DOT/FHWA smoothness specifications
Figure 6 is an example of SSI’s Profile Design software for a milling course using a dual track surface scan optimized for smoothness based on the user entered ranges for cross-slope and cut depth.
Figure 6—Sample View of Profile Design Module in SSI Profiler 3